Sunday, April 15, 2007

Past students dinner to random thoughts on traveling

Went to the Secondary school past students dinner tonight. First time to join events of such kind. No expectation, just thought if I am lucky enough, may be I would see some old classmates that I normally wouldn't have a chance to meet up with...

Food was bad (fortunately, glad that part was never in my expectation!~). Six of us went for dessert and also some snacks at a tea-restaurant afterwards, so tummy was happy~ ^_^ Had so much fun just chatting about old "group" memories, including episodes that weren't part of mine (things that happened after I moved to the US), current love life for "some people", and even a bunch of nonsense stuff... Though we are all now "grown-up", all have our own busy jobs and separate way of living, I could still feel the bond from the old days. It's crazy and ... incredibly warm. \(^_~)/

Another pleasant surprise was to see 2 not-as-close old classmates. They both went abroad for awhile after I left and are now back living in HK. Interesting how people go apart and meet again in random occasions (well... i guess old classmate reunion doesn't count as one of those "random" occasions ^_~ oh well... )

Found out that one of them traveled to South Africa alone and went back to Hong Kong all by land routes!! How CRAZY was that!!! A bit jealous...... ;)

Traveling around the world, backpacking-style, was once one of my biggest dreams. (That somehow got replaced by living in Tokyo and blending into the Japanese society, using my Japanese to the fullest ... and now when I looked back at how that dream turned out .... a bit heart-breaking.... sigh.....)

Anyways, I was looking at her pictures and wondered how it must feel like to see all these cool places and countries !! The kind of bliss and amazement (just by looking at the pictures) already made me want to jump up and down!!
\\\\\\^____________^//////

Though touring around the world backpacking style is probably a bit improbable right now for me (well... many reasons: reality check - infant stage of the startup, $$ situation, and that Mike is a "clean freak" and probably can't bear staying at a hostel, etc), I still want to see those places, may be through multiple shorter, less backpacking-style trips.

I like traveling - the idea of traveling was well-taught by my parents since I was little. I remember how they used to be super busy all year long. One primary compensation for their lack of time for me and my brother was the annual grand family trip. Been to numerous places at that time for that purpose (thx, dad and mom!!) And had been deeply in love with traveling since then. Want to travel even more after I get older - things that you can/will appreciate as an adult usually differ (a lot) from things that you appreciated as a kid.

Why traveling? hmm....

Seeing more of the world helps one realize, not only how big is this world, how small is oneself, but also how FULLY you are living your life!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I enjoyed every single picture that I took in my trips (and don't get me wrong, I'm as far as you can imagine as being a good photographer).

I enjoyed every conversation I had with people that I met on my journey (may them be just a passer-by whom I asked for directions, or a stranger sitting across at the same table in a restaurant, exchanged just a few glances with me).

I enjoyed every single meal or snacks that I had in my trips, especially those that were found randomly but were spectacularly delicious.

I enjoyed the feeling of exchanging and holding any foreign currency in my hands, every single coin and paper bill.

I especially enjoyed every single time when I got lost, holding a map and a compress, trying to figure out which way is north...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Breaking out of your normal routine, experiencing things that are outside of your familiar realm of knowledge, feeling the excitement of being at an unknown place, letting your footsteps take you to the next stop, enjoying getting lost in a complicated crossing...

I don't need to know what the true meaning of life is, I just want to feel that I AM LIVING my life and feel the joy in my heart so great that I need to yell out loud "LIFE IS GOOD!!!"

I am looking forward for my next trip!!! ^_^

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was dreaming to be a back-packer, too. Now I know I can't because I'm not enough tough^^;, but sometimes I still enjoy to be something like it in "my size, my way".
You're right, Carol. Enjoy "now"!

Caroline said...

But I think you are very tough already!! Being able to live in a foreign country (that was much behind your own) for soooo long, and mastered their language!!! (You know, your Mandarin is much better than mine, hehh...)

Speaking of traveling, Mike and I are still waiting for you to come visit us in Hong Kong ね!! \^_~/