Sunday, April 20, 2008

Nan Lian Garden (Part II)

Today was a super rainy and windy day for people in Hong Kong (Typhoon signal # 3 was up! The first one in 2008!!!!).


We couldn't really do much outing activities, so it's the perfect time to continue with last week's Nan Lian Garden visit, Part 2 !!



The Blue Pond


In the middle to the right of the garden located The Blue Pond.


DSC_3710.JPG

The Blue Pond is a stretch of calm water on which floats the reflection of the surrounding scenery.


DSC_3702.JPG

You can see clearly the reflection of the bushes, trees, hills, rocks and even the tall residential buildings nearby. So peaceful~!!


DSC_3704.JPG

There are so many fish in the pond, swimming energetically.



DSC_3707.JPG

Their energy energized me as well. Look how excited I was!!! It had been a very long time since last time I saw such a clean pond with so many fish in it!! (It's rare enough that you can see through the water!!!)



DSC_3708.JPG

Standing on the north shore of the Blue Pond is The Pine Teahouse, fronted by a broad covered veranda on the water’s edge.


DSC_3709.JPG

Even the sign to warn people not to feed or disturb the fish is traditional-looking and pretty!!


DSC_3712.JPG

They must have spent lots of time and effort to maintain the plants and trees. Look how aligned and beautifully-shaped they all are!!!




The Goofy Couple


Haha... for those who don't know - Mike and I are both very goofy!!! And here is the evidence...


DSC_3722.JPG

Goofy evidence #1:

Look how powerful my Chinese "Qi-gong" is!! Supporting the entire temple with just my bare arms!!!! Wakakakaka~



DSC_3669.JPG

Goofy evidence #2:

Hmm.... I think this picture is pretty self-explanatory. Anyone who can pose with a look like this definitely qualifies to be called "goofy". Right, Mike?!! hehe ^_~


DSC_3726.JPG

Goofy evidence #3:

I *think* (not sure) I was trying to imagine this was how I would feed the fish (like the sign portrays).... Either that or I was begging for money with my hands~


DSC_3728.JPG

Goofy evidence #4:

Mike's casual, incredibly-cool "James Bond" look. Don't worry, he's not carrying a gun - that was only the camera bag!!


He insisted that he didn't know when I took this picture, and didn't understand why he had such "pretentious" pose.....

Haha... no need to be embrassing, Mike. This picture would make a good Facebook profile photo for you and gets added by a bunch of young gals~ (*wink wink*) wakakakaka!! ;)


Okay, probably enough goofiness for one time.... back to the garden.....




Wondrous Nature


DSC_3719.JPG

Can you see the big round fresh dews on the small bright green leaves? Isn't nature amazing!!!!


DSC_3727.JPG

I found the "pregnant tree"!!!!!


DSC_3729.JPG

This waterfall is called "The Silver Strand". Exactly like its name describes, the waterfall forms a shiny curtain of water, making the view from within dance with the reflected sunlight and the greens surrounding it (even on top of the fall !!!)



DSC_3730.JPG

Another silver strand of water. This one has the falling water hit directly on the vertical timber, creating thousands of bounced water droplets in the air. I am totally a big fan of waterfalls!!!!


DSC_3736.JPG

Our failed attempt to capture ourselves with one of the waterfall as background.... Well... you can sort of see the waterfall in that tiny corner..... ;)




Back to the Garden Rules...


Remember the strict rules of the garden that I mentioned in my Part I entry? Well.... here is one that we witnessed and certified in person.

DSC_3739.JPG

As the sign says, the tea house located on the side of the Blue Pond is only opened for customers. The minimum charge for the tea house is a cup (or pot?) of $120 dollar tea, which I am sure is of high grade tea leaves.... (it better be, $120 dollars?!!)




DSC_3742.JPG

Well... since we didn't think it's worth paying the $120 but still wanted to see the tea house, so we walked around to the back of the tea house and took a quick peek!!

It's a shame that the garden is forcing people to pay in order to enter.... it's so beautiful, traditional and classic-looking...



"The Scream"


DSC_3749.JPG

I found a crazy-looking rock behind the tea house (the tall rock in the photo above in the background). It totally reminded me of the famous painting "The Scream". And I did my impression of the screaming face in front of the crazy-looking rock that gave me the inspiration.


Despite my strong effort to convince Mike, he didn't think that the rock resembled even a bit of the actual painting. What do you think?




Continue with the Garden Path


DSC_3750.JPG

Over 50% of the garden path is nicely paved and surrounded by fresh green plants and trees. Look at all those different shapes of leaves!!!


DSC_3744.JPG

Passed by a small exhibition room that has a very pretty Chinese name. (Sorry to those who can't read Chinese, I don't think I can translate the beauty of the name into English....)


DSC_3733.JPG

Then we passed by a stone-paved small playground. And don't get mistaken, the knee-height seat-looking stones are not actually seats. You will get warned if you try to sit on them.

(yea yea, as expected, one of the many complaints filed by visitors!)


DSC_3755.JPG

Ever seen trees that grow semi-horizontally?!




Beautiful Rock Clusters


DSC_3762.JPG

There is a part in the garden where various shaped and colored rocks are put together, fronted and decorated with waist-height Japanese plants.


DSC_3761.JPG

It's even more attention-capturing when water is splashed against the surface of the rocks. Look!!! I stood there for a few minutes to fully appreciate the impressive presentation of the rocks, plants, trees, and splashing water as a whole!!



DSC_3760.JPG

Close-up of the splashing water.


DSC_3780.JPG

A tiny pond and waterfall by the side of the stairs composed of leveled rocks.


DSC_3782.JPG

"Yay, waterfall~ !!!!" (Should probably have put this photo together with my earlier "goofy collection" pictures!! haha...)


DSC_3784.JPG

But seriously, waterfall is such a magical scenery. To me, it symbolizes hope, energy and adventure, just like life~!!!! (wow... I felt like I am doing some kind of "positive-thinking" commercials by saying that, hahaha~)



DSC_3787.JPG

Walking up the stairs, we viewed the garden from higher up. The first thought that went through my mind was : "Ahh... so many trees, so green!!!)


DSC_3788.JPG

Okay, time to end this Part 2 entry (my bed time alert went off an hour ago already), which brings to another temporary pause to my Nan Lian Garden Visit series. (haha... making it sound so grand and interesting and popular or something....)


Anyways, in the next (and also the last) entry for my garden visit, I'll unveil the mask of the secluded Chi Lin Nunnery (志蓮淨苑) next to Nan Lian Garden.



No comments: