Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Weekend Visit to HK Science Museum

Last time I went to the Hong Kong Science Museum, I was probably still in primary school going on a school field trip with the rest of the class (i.e. looooooong long time ago...) The reason this normally would be considered as an "incredibly educational facility" drew our attention was because of its currently-hosting special exhibition "Wildlife Photographer of the Year".



DSC_2714.JPGWe saw its promotion poster at many MTR stations. As both Mike and I have been eager to learn to take better pictures, how can we miss such an interesting exhibition, learning from the professional?! =)



The Wildlife Gallery

Upon entering the Science Museum, we couldn't wait but went stragiht to the museum first. The exhibition featured about 200 winning photographs taken by photographers around the world. Below are some of my favorite picks.


Ain't the little birdies adorable?!!! Love the composition and the depth of field.



Have you seen such an AWAKE owl bit its gigantic round orange eyes? The color is amazing too!


Apparently, this well-known "Wildlife Photographer of the Year" competition has been organized by the BBC Wildlife Magazine and the Natural History Museum in London since 1964.


I could almost feel the intense energy of the zebra bursting out from this photo!

We were not allowed to take any pictures of the gallery due to copyright issue, soI am linking all these awesome photos directly from the London Natural Museum website.



These three little monkeys reminded me of the Three Wise Monkeys - "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil".



How did the photographer find a elephant swiming? I didn't even know elephants swim!!!! Really impressive! And such clear water.... (making me want to jump into a beach now!!)



Holy molly!!! How many WERE THERE?!?! The scene was so bizarre and beautiful that I almost couldn't believe it's not a painting instead of an actual photo!! Also, for those who have seen the March of the Penguins - doesn't this picture remind you of it?!



This is no way the best photo in the gallery in terms of skills or quality, but it's the one that I remembered the most! The baby monkey is sooooooooooooooooo CUTE!!!!! Makes you want to hold him in your arms...


We spent almost 2 hours just wandering around in the gallery, looking and appreciating each photograph. I enjoyed it so much that I didn't realize 120 minutes have passed already!



Wandering through the Science Museum


Mike had never been to the Hong Kong Science Museum, so we took the opportunity to walk around as well. We originally didn't plan to spend that much time there, but we had so much fun that if it's not for our poor hungry stomaches, we would have stayed at the museum until it closed... (haha... mostly Mike's stomach, my will power to bear hunger is much stronger than his...)


DSC_2715.JPGI have always liked the puzzle area everytime I visited. It was awesome seeing not only kids but adults too were enjoying solving various puzzles there.



DSC_2716.JPG Seeing the little kids playing the puzzles brought back so much childhood memory. =)



The Funny Mirror Collection


We somehow discovered the "funny mirror land" and went crazy there~ haha.... Bear with me, I had so much silly fun playing with the various funny mirrors that I took probably too many pictures just at that section!! ;)


The Pair Mirror

DSC_2717.JPGDSC_2719.JPGDSC_2721.JPGDSC_2723.JPGDSC_2725.JPG

Oops... wrong angle!!! (yea, it's my bad, haha)



The Side Mirror

DSC_2729.JPG
Left


DSC_2730.JPGAnd right...


DSC_2733.JPGAnd left again?!



The Back Mirror

DSC_2727.JPGDSC_2728.JPG

Hey I am taking picture of my back!! Weird, huh?!



The Fat Mirror


DSC_2734.JPG "The fat couple" haha~


DSC_2735.JPG And the "dancing fat couple"!!


The Skinny Mirror

DSC_2736.JPG

We looked like two idiots didn't know what's going on!!! =p


DSC_2737.JPG Oh mine... Look at Mike's head!!! It's so....... STICKING OUT!!!



DSC_2739.JPG The infamous "skinny swan pond dance" ^o^ hohohoho~



DSC_2740.JPG

Okay, now the swan turned into a chicken~ (^_~)v


Apparently, I was having too much fun and let Mike took all these "animal-like" pictures of me, displaying my "animal" side, hahaha~



The Mirror Maze


I kid you not, they really did build an animal maze inside the Science Museum. It was a bit daunting at first. (Not that I had any doubts in my ability to NOT to get lost.....)

DSC_2741.JPG"Douzo (Please come in). Feel free to find you way out!!" - followed by evil laughter....


DSC_2742.JPGMike almost bumped his head into one of the mirrors~


DSC_2746.JPG

This dark corner was scary - I saw so many images of me through these mirrors....



DSC_2747.JPG

Doesn't it feel like the magic mirror in Snow White that the evil queen uses?!


"Magic Mirror, Magic Mirror, tell me who is the most beautiful girl in the world!!" (actually... not sure how the answer to the question would be beneficial to me in any ways... besides, I'd probably disagree with the answer anyways.... wakakkakaka....)



DSC_2748.JPG Could you tell that there was only 1/6 of an actual table and the rest was just an illusion? Amazing, isn't it?!


DSC_2750.JPG The "Reflection Mirror Well". I thought it was really cool-looking!!


DSC_2751_1.jpg

I somehow took this picture on accident. Didn't really know what I did, but the effect was wickedly awesome!! =)



DSC_2753.JPGDidn't I look like a little kid running lose in the candy shop?!



The Understanding Your Body Section


After all those funny mirrors, we wandered into this "Understanding Your Body" section. Let see what we have found...

DSC_2821.JPGFirst, some really cool kung fu drawings about human body's muscles.


DSC_2822.JPG

Ohohoho, my favorite 3D DNA model!! (haha... yes, I am indeed such a geek that I get excited seeing a DNA model !!)



DSC_2827.JPG

DNA was one of my favorite study topics in Biology in high school! And I still want to enter the bioinformatics field someday when I am tired of coding and also have time (and money) to go back to school !!! Looking forward for that "someday"....



DSC_2846.JPG

"Time for our regular body check!!" (Remember those body height/weight checks in each semester when we were in primary school?!)



DSC_2847.JPG Ohhhh... somebody was sad that he gained weight..... (hehehehe....)


DSC_2860.JPGSkeleton playing tennis?!!!


DSC_2754.JPG The interior and all the exhibits were all in very good condition. They almost looked cleaner and newer than what I recalled in my memory...


DSC_2756.JPG

I failed the tiptoe test.... Not a very "light-weight" person... Q_Q



DSC_2759.JPGSomebody was extremely confident at his "tiptoe-ness".


DSC_2760.JPGOh my gosh... he indeed beat my score!!


DSC_2772.JPG You can "feel" how the sound vibrates through this gigantic vertical drum!

Surprising it was not very loud. Mike and I took turn to try to hit it to make a loud noise... both failed.... What a big sneaky drum!!


The Dancing Beads

DSC_2776.JPG This is one of my favorite exhibits in the museum. You can change the frequency of the sound from the music tones and see how beads in the long glass tube jump and dance according to the frequency change!!!


DSC_2777.JPGDSC_2778.JPG

It was so captivating watching them dance in the tube!!



DSC_2781.JPG

I could imagine just how the little school kids would just crowd around the tube (like me) and watch the beads jump according to beats!!



DSC_2779.JPG They were ALIVE!!!!! =D



The Air Section

DSC_2765.JPG The hanging ball in the air!!


DSC_2766.JPG The running-lose sea lion from Ocean Park is now performing at Science Museum now!! (hehe.... I know I know... I am mean.... haha~)



DSC_2769.JPGAnother interesting air trick that captured my full attention was this thing which blew air from the bottom and sucked in air from the left, creating a small rectangular entrance (hole), where a ball would always float its way into the entrance... I wish I had a picture of the front of the exhibit - it was a really cool air trick!!



The Shrinking House

I am sure everyone must have been to this house at least once at some point...

DSC_2782.JPG

Yea, I could finally become a TALL person!!



Drunk-Mike Walking

DSC_2797.JPGDSC_2798.JPGDSC_2799.JPGDSC_2800.JPGDSC_2801.JPG

Don't worry, he's fine at the end. I waited for him to turn "sober" ;)



Visual Illusion Section

DSC_2802.JPG

"Aiiiiiiiiii - I am so dizzy!!!!!"



DSC_2807.JPG Silly me trying to figure out how the illusion works.


DSC_2809.JPG Ohohoho, the infamous "Reverse Mask". I liked how its eyes just follow you where ever you walk. Creepy!!


DSC_2825.JPG Ever wonder how fish see things?


DSC_2826.JPG

Fish's eye-sight is so weird!! No wonder they can't tell if the bail is actual food or just a hook to trick them sometimes! (hehe.. j/k)




The Jumping Contest

This exhibit tested how high up one can jump. It does so by measuring the highest point where your hand can touch when standing-still and jumping.


DSC_2814.JPG

"Are you ready?"


DSC_2815.JPG

Mike's attempt!!


DSC_2820.JPG

(Not very high, hahaha... due to the lack of basketball playing ....)



DSC_2818.JPG

And now the shorty's turn - WOW - I actually could jump pretty high!!! Yay!!!



Next: The Balance Contest


DSC_2829.JPG

Surprise surprise, with such a high center-of-gravity, Mike actually did pretty well on this one!



DSC_2832.JPG

Me? Hmm..... (see me struggling?)



DSC_2836.JPG

You were supposed to stand on the tiny metal platform and balance yourself on it. The timer would start counter once both sides of the platforms were not touching the ground.


DSC_2839.JPG

My "concentration" look. (more like my "struggling" look...)



DSC_2835.JPG

"I got it I got it!!" (Finally.... after my 32th attempt...)



Body-Detection Video Games

DSC_2848.JPG The museum even has a separate room for body-detection type video games, with a huge flat screen!!


DSC_2850.JPG We both sucked at the bouncing ball game.


DSC_2854.JPG We didn't take a picture of it, but you are supposed to wear those 3D glasses when you are playing the games, which I found making the game harder. (Either that, or I was just trying to find excuses to blame for my low game score, hahaha...)



The Power/Electricity Section

DSC_2861.JPG And here comes my favorite Physics topic!!!


DSC_2863.JPG

The exhibits look so funny and colorful!! Probably aim to attract little kids to learn while playing...


DSC_2878.JPG

Like this!! (^_~)v Mission accomplished! (for the museum)



DSC_2880.JPG
The little kid was so cute. He hopped from one exhibit to a different one, playing and absorbing every little bit... I'll definitely bring my kids to science museums when they are old enough to explore science!!! hehe!!



DSC_2864.JPG

Gigantic battery!!! (With a huge red button on top that you are not supposed to press in all circumstance!!!) Hehe... I like pressing those dangerous red buttons the most!!



DSC_2867.JPG

Gigantic light bulb (coming out from my head)!!!



DSC_2866.JPG

DING!! - I got an idea!



The Transportation Section

DSC_2870.JPG

Obviously, that floor was about transportation. You could tell by looking at the huge airplane model hanging from ceiling.



DSC_2871.JPG Let's go for a ride (flight)!!


DSC_2872.JPG "Ready? Set? Go!!!"


DSC_2873.JPG Apparently, I like being a pilot!! haha...


DSC_2875.JPG Something suspicious came up?!


DSC_2876.JPG We missed the preset daily show times to see how metal balls run through this three-floor tall complex chain system thing.... I want to see it!!!! =(


DSC_2881.JPG

Mike's childhood favorite - dinosaur!!



Leaving Museum.....


DSC_2882.JPG

Mike finally gave in to hunger and dragged me to leave the museum.... He's a bit unwilling to leave too.... But his overpowering stomach.... (grin)...



DSC_2692.JPG

But overall, we had a fantastic time at the Hong Kong Science Museum today, appreciating the wildlife photography gallery and having tons of fun exploring the museum (semi-randomly).

I felt like turning into a curious primary school student all over again in the process ;) It recalled so much joyful childhood memory!! ^_^


No comments: