Friday, May 02, 2008

I cried today....

I cried today....






During the Olympic torch relay today, I witnessed a young guy standing next to me, silently holding up a half-A4 sized human rights poster.



DSC_4398.JPG


When the crowd discovered him and his poster, they attacked him immediately, poking at and trying to destroy his poster with their red flags or umbrellas.



DSC_4411.JPG

DSC_4410.JPG


During that whole time, the innocent guy was just repeating "Freedom of Speech" in Chinese and English.




DSC_4413.JPG


He then got taken away by the police, got interrogated and was finally forced to leave the site after the police recorded his ID and other personal information.


DSC_4415.JPG

DSC_4419.JPG




In the midst of that kind of blind patriotism and violence, I couldn't stop my tears.




DSC_4393.JPG



I haven't cried like that for years... since my grandma passed away.



DSC_4358.JPG


I am not ashamed of admitting that I cried in the street out in the public (got eyed on by many passers-by), but I am ashamed of my own country, of the city that I have always loved so much...


DSC_4359.JPG


Where did the freedom of speech in HK go....?



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hola Carol,
It is indeed very important that during our lives we present a manifestation regarding the human rights.
Congrats.
Best wishes from Brazil
Geraldo